Thursday, November 1, 2012

Sisters' Day and French Toast


In honor of the first Sunday of August, National Sisters' Day, (What, you didn't know, either??), I present to you "French Toast" - sort of. :-)  By the way, I know it's not August, but I've got sisters on the brain, and you should be used to unconventional by now.

I can cook, I really can, but I come by it honestly. I come from a long line of tasty-down-home-cookin' kind of ladies (and a few guys, too). My beautiful sisters are no exception. My little sister despised all things domestic and loved all things social, until her husband's career made entertaining a vital part of their lives. Then she surprised us all and became somewhat of a domestic diva... that girl can cook and entertain and love people!!

My older sister, on the other hand, was always good in the kitchen. I think she was whipping up Betty Crocker's best before I could read (and she's only 3 years older than me, and honest, I really am literate!). I don't really know where she got this recipe (so thanks, if *you* invented it!), but it's a family favorite. It takes a bit more time than most of my recipes, so it's a treat, but try it, you'll like it! It's reminiscent of French Toast, but quite different, in a good, banana-y way.

It serves up well with a little maple syrup, yogurt and scrambled tofu or eggs (mine has Morning Star Farms "Sausages" crumbled in).

BLESSINGS


French Toast

¾ cup water
2 dates, pitted
½ cup cashews, raw
3 small bananas
6 slices whole grain bread

This is nicer if you cut the bread into strips and evenly coat these. You may have to make more of the mixture.

1. Blend water, dates and cashews until very smooth. Add three bananas, blend, and pour onto a plate.

2. Dip slices of bread into this on each side.

3. Grease pan, broil until golden. Flip and repeat.


No comments:

Post a Comment