Sunday, June 23, 2013

Summer Goodness! - Green Tomato Cream Soup



Summer is full of goodness! I really dislike the heat, but I can put up with a little roasty-toastiness in exchange for the most amazing foods all year. I love all summer fruits - berries, melons, stone fruits - I'm sure I could happily live on them alone. I love fresh garden tomatoes, garden herbs (fresh mint tea and rosemary bread!), green beans, zucchini bread, fried squash - and... GREEN TOMATOES. I love green tomatoes. Often I just dip slices in a little plain flour and then pan fry them (and salt lightly) on a hot griddle. They're faster, easier, and healthier than the breaded, deep fried kind, and I like them just as well! I'll try to post some of those this summer.  But for now, here's another neat thing to do with summer's green goodness:

Green Tomato Cream Soup

1 Green tomato, chopped
2 cups cabbage, chopped
1 zucchini, chopped
1 small onion, chopped
1 small jalapeno, chopped
2 tablespoons oil
2 tablespoons margarine
1 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon chicken style Seasoning
¼ cup cashews
4 cups of water

1. Sauté all veggies in margarine and 2 cups of water until soft, about 10 minutes.
2. Blend cashews in 1 to 2 cups of hot water until very smooth, about three minutes.

3. Combine all and blend until very smooth, then bring to a boil. Lower heat and cook for another five minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment