Sunday, August 5, 2012

Easiest, Tastiest, Healthy Tacos Imagineable!

You want easy and delicious (again)? I've got it for you! Actually, I wasn't planning to blog this at all - it's just so simple I didn't think of it. But my friends Andrea and Jill were insistent that I should share this. It's really hard to get cheaper or easier - and it works well with enchiladas, too. Let me know if you try it with other things... Maybe even send me a picture!

By the way, middle son just came up and saw this picture and said, "Mmmm... That looks good! I'm going to go make myself another one!" The highest form of flattery? :-)


Bulgar Wheat Taco Meat

1 cup bulgur wheat
hot water, to cover, plus a little bit
1 tablespoon onion powder
½ teaspoon garlic powder,
1 teaspoon cumin
2 teaspoons paprika
1 tablespoon chicken-style seasoning
2 tablespoons oil

You can get this with the specialty grain items at Walmart or a health food store.

1. Soak bulgar wheat in hot water until soft, 4-6 hours. Drain excess water and mix in all herbs.

2. Heat pan and oil on medium heat and add bulgar wheat mix. Allow to brown slightly, about 4-5 minutes, then stir and brown again, several times until very fragrant.

3. Serve in warm, toasty taco shells with all the fixin's!

This is not gluten free, but it is super light and "low-fat-friendly."

No comments:

Post a Comment