Friday, February 1, 2013

Home Grown Tortillas


We LOVE our tortilla maker. It's one of my favorite (and least necessary, lol) kitchen gadgets! There are several brands out there, but my favorite is the Saachi tortilla maker that I purchased from some little Indian company on ebay for $40.

Warning 1: It's a piece of junk. The heating element on my first one went out after 2 months. They replaced it and the second one lasted a year (of constant use). There are folks who've had them much longer, but I've struck out 2 times. It's been awhile, but I asked for it for Christmas AGAIN this year. Hopefully this one will last. Save your receipt and know you're taking a risk. I figure if it lasts a year, I've gotten my mouth's worth - as there are dozens of amazing tortilla recipes I make regularly!!

I've tried a couple other brands (which had appeal because the Saachi makes 8" and I'd love 10" or 12"), but have had no success in getting this quality of tasty tortilla from any other brand.

Warning 2: You'll want to play with recipes for awhile before throwing in the towel. The dough should be wet and there is a learning curve - it's an art, but after 3 or 4 tries I started getting it right and there is no going back. These things are award winning!

Note 2: While you're making these, place on a large plate or cookie sheet and cover with a towel as you add to your stack. If you're doing a lot at once, cover your dough with plastic wrap as you work because you want the dough to stay moist.


Paper Thin Tortillas

1 cup Whole wheat flour
1 tablespoon Vital wheat gluten (instant gluten flour)
½ teaspoon Salt
1 teaspoon Sugar
½ teaspoon Garlic powder, optional
⅔ cup Water, If making by hand
¾ cup Water, If using tortilla maker

1. Mix dry ingredients thoroughly.

2. Mix in water and work with spoon or hands until smooth, a minute or two. Allow to rest for 5 minutes or more.

3. If by tortilla maker: With wet or oiled hands, break off 1/8 of the dough and roll into a ball. With tortilla maker on medium heat, place dough on cooking surface about 2/3 back and press briefly (you will hear "screams"). Lift lid and carefully turn dough 180 degrees, allowing, placing dough slightly more toward back then front and press briefly again. Leave handle down and allow to cook for one minute. Lift lid and turn tortilla again. Lower lid and cook for another 10 seconds. Spray sides of tortilla maker with nonstick vegetable oil spray ("Pam") as necessary.

If by hand: Break and roll into balls and cover. On a floured surface, roll ball into a circle. I strongly recommend getting videos on YouTube on how to roll dough into circles (instead of the state of Texas!). Heat large skillet on medium heat. Spray with "Pam" and fry on both sides until tops of bubbles brown slightly.

It's difficult to get them thin when rolling by hand, so I use double the dough.

A serving is 1 if by hand 2 if by machine. :-) 65 calories a serving!

No comments:

Post a Comment