Thursday, April 19, 2012

Barter-able Waffles


I could have a big-bang intro, but I think I'll just jump in and pretend you know me already. So how about a brand new post right now? I'm sitting in nursing class, too distracted by the lecture to get much of my reading/studying done, so I'll share with you this great little recipe.

These waffles aren't an original - in fact, I'm mostly built out of these. I used to beg for these things as a kid, and now-a-days my boys are pathetically depressed when there are none of these in the freezer. They're easy to make and are almost as delicious with soy margarine, peanut butter, strawberries & Cool Whip, applesauce, syrup - or even plain, when warm and toasty!

Oh - the bartering thing. These babies are powerful! I get free childcare for three rowdy boys in exchange for a couple bags of these. I try to be helpful and send them fresh, but if I have to pull them out of the freezer they seem to be almost as valuable - now that's serious barter power!

Note: I haven't found this recipe to do well in a Belgian waffle maker. The shallower the "holes," the better.

Cashew Oat Waffles

2 ¼ cups water
½ teaspoon salt
1 ½ cups oats
⅓ cup cashews, raw

Servings/Yield: 2-3 large waffles
Difficulty: Easy
1. Blend all until smooth. Pour onto hot, greased waffle iron. Don't lift lid until steam stops or it will stick!
2. Cook about 10-12 minutes, until golden brown and crisp.

No comments:

Post a Comment