Thursday, April 19, 2012

Holes in Your Life?



Some years ago I decided that, as a mature wife and mother, it was time to fill my kitchen with Tupperware. Unfortunately, after glancing through a recent catalog, I realized that Tupperware was, well, a little “out of my league,” as a “mature wife and mother (of diapered, hungry toddlers).” So I did what any self-respecting mother would - I signed up to sell it! I enjoyed myself thoroughly, got to know several of my sweet neighbors (and the other ones, too) and earned my way to a kitchen bursting with plastic paradise.

One of the prized pieces I earned was an odd little set of golden translucent microwaveable bowls - a large bowl, a smaller bowl and a smaller bowel that was a steamer. All could be stacked together to house and create amazing combination meals that would be so easy!

So yesterday I made a lot of extra (delicious) tomato soup so the boys could have some later for their lunches. When I was straightening up the kitchen, I grabbed my favorite golden bowl (the smaller one) and set it on the counter just above the open dishwasher. I poured the soup into it but quickly noticed that something was really wrong. It was slowly pouring all over the counter, and splashing down on the floor and cabinets. Thankfully, much of it ran into the open dirty dishwasher, but what a mess!  I immediately lifted the bowl, irritated and sure that my sons had broken it, but discovered to my embarrassment that I had grabbed the steamer bowl, with beautifully spaced slots all in the bottom.

So what are you pouring yourself into? Are you actively, intelligently, frequently evaluating how you’re spending your precious time? Do you see a mess around you and have little idea why your life seems to be spinning? What is the cost? Sometimes it’s just a bowl of soup, but sometimes it could be your future, seeping through the cracks.

Stop today and really evaluate what you’re pouring yourself into. Make sure, by God’s grace, that your choice is solid enough to bless yourself and those around you.

No comments:

Post a Comment