Friday, April 27, 2012

Sinking Your Teeth Into Surprising Experiences




So today I decided to indulge in a somewhat irritating habit of mine: I decided to create a new recipe - to give as a gift. I frequently invent new recipes when company's on the way, to the nervousness of my dear husband!

I have been on a roll lately, seeking to bless people with a favorite (tried and true) recipe, and planned to make three batches of monkey bread for some folks that we care about, when I remembered that one of them was recently diagnosed with diabetes.

In a quandary, I began to scheme toward a savory pull-apart bread that would be mouth watering! I made my usual dough, but mixed in some home-dried parsley, rosemary, and dill. Then I cut it in small pieces and rolled it a bit of oil and a mixture of herbs and spices. I baked it - and it did look beautiful.

Unfortunately, it was one of those - flops. Ever have those? It was mediocre but edible, so, having made ample, I stuck the extra in a bag on the table to accompany our Hungarian Cabbage Soup. When my guys came to the table Jonathan happily hurried to the fridge to grab the ketchup. I thought it was strange, but didn't say anything.

When Mike saw the ketchup, his eyes lit up and he reached into the bag to grab what he thought was "Sam's Chicken," a rare treat of fried vegetarian chicken that we haven't had in more than a year. I was blissfully unaware of their expectations until I saw the look of shock on his face. Surprisingly, this odd dish tasted just fine with... Ketchup! And we never would have known it. Once over the initial surprise, they willingly finished off bag with a healthy dose of ketchup.

So when's the last time you sunk the teeth of your experience into something that turned out to be absolutely different from what you'd expected? Learn the lesson of what was not Sam's Chicken and embrace it, stretch a little, determine to face what comes your way with a smile and a laugh, and a little bit of ketchup.

I've included a picture of the strange bread concoction on the right of the heart, and the tofu I fried up to make them not feel too disappointed on the left. We were unusually stuffed tonight!!

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

Location:Greenwell St,Bellview,United States

No comments:

Post a Comment