Monday, July 30, 2012

Summer Memories - Ratatouille

For any of you who've seen the movie, "Ratatouille," you'll know that a big theme for this silly little movie is the power of a favorite dish to take you back to your childhood. I was subjected to the whole movie in Greek on a flight a couple of years back! Anyway… I guess that explains why, when my kids asked me to make some ratatouille, I actually had no idea what it was, even after supposedly having seen the movie.

I looked it up and made my own version, all the while thinking it was beautifully reminiscent of years gone by. My first few bites made me realize that perhaps this is a gardener's favorite everywhere, though by different names, as I had never heard the name until I was an adult. It's something I've had many times during the overabundance-of-veggies-harvest time that lasts a few weeks every (garden) summer. I hope that you decide that you want to revive or create memories with this lovely recipe!

Ratatouille

1 small eggplant, sliced
1 large tomato, sliced
1 large zucchini , sliced
1 large onion, sliced
2 medium yellow squash, sliced
⅓ cup soy cheese, shredded
1 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons oil

1. Preheat oven to 400 and oil a 9x13" casserole dish well on the bottom and sides with 2 tablespoons oil.

2. Layer veggies in order listed, standing part way up, making as many rows as fit nicely, until all are gone. If you have extra of one veggie or another, cut these into small pieces and sprinkle them in the "blank spots" in the pan.

3. Sprinkle salt and then "cheese" evenly over the top of the veggies and then bake until top begins to turn golden brown, about 40 minutes.

Gluten free and not fattening!

No comments:

Post a Comment