Monday, July 2, 2012

Sarada's Eggplant Curry

When my family and I moved to Majuro, in the Marshall Islands we quickly made friends with a great family from Sri Lanka, the Franceses. The mother, Sarada introduced to the wonderful world of Indian food - our family favorite to this day! I remember her making meals for us that she tamed down in heat so we could tolerate it. My mom and little sister couldn't touch it. My dad and older sister about cried through most of this food, and I thoroughly enjoyed the two bites I could handle without blisters! My silly boys will eat delicious Indian food with tears streaming down their face - enjoying every minute.

Of course, spicy food "ain't the best," as it's its over stimulating and harsh on your digestion, so my mother and I (and others) seek to re-create these amazing flavors without the heat! Please enjoy this recipe - it's our transcription of one of our favorite dishes of Sarada's (since she didn't know her own recipes - which made her even more amazing!).

Sri Lankan Eggplant Curry

2 large eggplant, Fry until very soft/drain
½ large onion, chopped
3 garlic cloves, chopped
3 or 4 Roma tomatoes, chopped
½ t. chili powder
2 t. curry powder
dash mustard seed
dash cumin
1 c. coconut milk

Put onion, garlic, mustard seed, cumin in a pan and simmer. When soft, add tomatoes, curry, chili powder and milk. Cook until very soft. Add Eggplant. Salt to taste. May add another cup of milk if needed. Simmer about 15 minutes, to mingle flavors. Serve over rice.

No comments:

Post a Comment