Friday, June 29, 2012

Anti-Depression Oatmeal


This is a delicious and easy dish that actually gets my family to eat oatmeal willingly - and that's a challenge, let me assure you! (Even for myself, lol.) It comes from Neil Nedley's Depression Recovery clinic* and I post it just as I received it, but the picture shows it with my alterations, which I feel are significant enough to mention.

1. I used 1 cup of walnuts instead of coconut. (Much to my sadness, none of my guys likes coconut shreds - as they say it's "like eating grass.") Besides, as Dr. Nedley will tell you, walnuts are great "brain food."
2. I leave out the raisins, as bloated raisins aren't my personal favorite. I like them mostly only in cookies!
3. Most important to Dear Hubby and me - I use three cups milk and three cups water. It just seems too rich with 6 cups milk!

But anyway... I think however you play with this dish, you'll enjoy it!

Baked Blueberry Oatmeal

1 c. dates, diced
3 c. oats
1 c. coconut , shredded
¼ c. raisins, optional
1 ½ c. frozen blueberries
6 c. soy milk
2 T vanilla
½ t. salt

Makes a wonderful breakfast one-dish meal.

1. Spread ingredients in this order in the bottom of a 9 x 13 inch pan: dates, oats, coconut, raisins, berries.

2. In a bowl, mix milk, vanilla and salt. Pour over dry ingredients.

3. Bake at 325 for 1 hour (until liquid is absorbed).

Love, love, love this guy! He is a bit of a nerd, so not very "Hollywood" to listen to, but has access to great research and amazing, practical help for people who want to reach optimum mental performance. I am convinced that his a godly man with a lot of answers - and he's living the answers! He's not in an ivory tower, but a real-live dedicated doctor, committed husband, and loving daddy.
*http://www.drnedley.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment