Monday, May 7, 2012

Meatless Loaf - Yum!



Back to the land of the living (and internet access) after a wonderful weekend at the camp (Timber Ridge) of many childhood memories. I had so much fun sharing and making new memories with my boys while Mike shared leadership training seminars with a great little Indiana church leadership team. Now we're with Mike's folks for a couple of days enjoying family time.
A few days ago a new blog follower, Sandy, requested an old recipe I had shared with her... A family favorite that I haven't made in a long time. Here is the most delicious "meatloaf" I've ever had. It's not an original, my mother made this regularly as we were growing up and I don't know where she got it. I do not know of a gluten-free way to make this one. For those who wonder abut the weight-loss compatibility of this, it is cholesterol free, and much lower in fat, etc. than real meatloaf. I'm sure you'll enjoy it, and it makes great company food!
Sweet & Sour Burger Loaf
1 medium onion, chopped
6 slices whole grain bread, crumbled
1/4 cup margarine
1 pound Griller Crumbles (by Morning Star Farms, in the freezer section)
1 cup cheese, grated (works nicely with my favorite "cheese," Daiya.)
½ t. garlic powder
½ t. sage
4 eggs, or egg replacer
SAUCE;
½ c. ketchup
½ c. water
½ c. brown sugar
1. Saute the bread/butter/onions. Combine with the burger mixture. Mix well with hands and pat into a 9 inch greased pan. Top with the sauce.
2. Sauce: Mix the ketchup, water, and sugar together and pour over casserole. Bake at 350 for 45 minutes.
We grew up using Redi-Burger by Worthington foods (in a can), but Griller Crumbles are much easier to find and they're a bit cheaper, so that is what I use now.
http://www.daiyafoods.com/
- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

Location:Indiana 9,Morristown,United States

No comments:

Post a Comment