Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Quick Prep Lentils





A couple months back I needed to take a dish to a little end-of-term potluck with some fellow nursing students. Since I'm a veggie-gal, I frequently find that the only things to eat at these gatherings are desserts, so I try to take something filling. Besides, I think that people are curious about what vegetarians eat and so try to take something interesting and repeatable.

Unfortunately I was so super busy (imagine that!), preparing for a test, chasing chickens (three little human ones), and so many other things. So before collapsing into bed (to be ready to arrive at "work" at 6:30), I threw a few things to a crockpot and let 'er simmer! Be forewarned, if you have well-circulating central air, this recipe can be cruel. :-)

Thankfully, my rushed attempt turned put quite satisfying!


Quick and Delicious Lentils
1 pound lentils
8 cups water
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1 onion, chopped, optional
1 can tomato paste

To prepare this in a crockpot overnight: stir the tomato paste into water, enough to smooth any lumps. Combine all and crockpot on low overnight.
To prepare in 30-40 minutes on the stove top: Bring all but tomato paste to a boil on high. Turn down to medium heat and boil until lentils soften, 25-40 minutes. Mix tomato paste with a little water and stir in. (If you add tomato paste too soon, it may prevent the lentils from becoming soft.)

Enjoy!

Gluten free! And this one of those recipes you can fill your belly with guiltlessly as it is way heavier in nutrients than just "calories."


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

Location:Greenwell St,Bellview,United States

No comments:

Post a Comment