Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Nutty Pancakes for Two

This morning I made chewy corn sticks for breakfast - always a total hit, but I made it with leftover grits and there wasn't enough, so I gave the boys mine. So when they left I tried to come up with a quick breakfast so I could get studying for my nursing final (just 12 more months!) which is tomorrow. It's amazing how many options mean "quick" when there's only one person! It's been awhile, and cooking for one all the time wouldn't be my preference, but it frees me up to use things that only I like (like shredded coconut which 3 of my 4 equate to eating grass).

So pancakes it was, and, though I already had the beginning of a series on cheap home made milk up and scheduled to post this morning, I just had to postpone that and share these with you! I didn't decide until they were half gone, as you can tell, but sometimes "half-gone" is the best testimony - and the best picture. For what it's worth, I'm not deluded that I'm a fantastic photographer, but all I need is for your mouth to water and mission accomplished. Is it working?

So some PS's ahead of time so you won't miss them...
PS #1 Yes, I know that you "don't get much benefit out of flax seeds unless they're ground." I have a couple responses to this. First, I don't get benefit out of ice (from Sonic!) either, but I like it. Second, That's like saying that sweeping a kitchen is no good because it doesn't wash any germs off the floor. Well, I know that, but sweeping is still good for my kitchen (and for my bare feet)! So eat your flax.
PS #2 I promised a friend to comment on the weight loss properties of the recipes I post. This one is a. better and less fattening than IHOP or Hungry Jack from a box because it's full of things that are amazing for you like vitamins (the way they were originally packaged) and fiber. b. The fattening properties of pancakes of are 90% what you put on them. So try no butter, or just a little bit of "Smart Balance," or try a little smear of peanut butter with applesauce, or just a little swirl of maple syrup. You don't need to eat my share and yours both. If you wanna' stuff yourself (and there is a time and place), do so on watermelon or salad! So can you eat as much of this as you want? I guess that depends on how much you want! Could you get by with eating three or four? With just a little bit of syrup and and an apple? Yup... Count the calories. Just leave off the bacon, eggs, etc., etc., and you'll be able to fit this in. I love eating this way!

And I love your comments too... So try these and let me know what you think! Have a blessed, sweet day.


Nutty Pancakes for Two

1 cup whole wheat flour
2 tablespoons pecans, chopped
2 tablespoons flax seed , I used golden
2 tablespoons shredded coconut
1 ½ teaspoons baking powder, I used Rumford aluminum-free
½ teaspoon salt
1 cup water
oil, to "fry"

Servings/Yield: Servings: -- 6 large

1.Mix all dry ingredients well.:
2.Combine all and mix quickly - don't over mix.:
3. Pour into circles in a greased skillet over medium heat. The top will form bubbles. When these pop and the top begins to dry out a bit (edges browning a bit), flip them carefully (DO NOT press down). Cook for another minute or two, then serve directly to a plate.

Have a mouth-watering day.

1 comment:

  1. Melanie, these sound and look great. Will be trying the this week...maybe alone...I like my coconut too :)

    ReplyDelete